Sunday, November 16, 2008

Methodicism

"However pre-eminently a great Commander does things, ther is always somthing subjective in the way he does them; and if he has a certain manner, a large share of his individuality is contained in it which does not always accord with the individuality of the person who copies his manner" (Clausewitz 209)

I chose this passage because this is supported by Machiavelli's idea that even if a prince copies another leader, that does not mean that the prince will have the same outcome. It is also true in boxing. Whenever one is trying to learn boxing, they must first learn the basics (which takes about a year to master), then they must work on developing their personal style. I myself have been boxing for 5 years and I am still trying to fully develop my own style. To achieve this, one would need to watch other professional boxers who have successful styles and use what they use (only if it works) and make adjustments to make it their own. If one is creative, then they could invent their own moves. I was told by my dad, "if it works, and you don't get in too much trouble for doing it, do it."

1). Could one follow exactly what someone else did and get the same results?

2). How would someone with no creativity (for instance) go about getting his own style?

No comments: